10 Feb Carrot Curry Muffins
A savoury lunch option, vegan muffins.
2 tablespoons flaxseed meal
6 tablespoons water
20 mils egg replacement ( I used Bob’s Red Mill)
1 cup soymilk
1 cup whole meal
1/2 cup buckwheat
1 1/2 tablespoons keens curry powder
2 teaspoon lemon pepper ( I used Masterfoods )
1/2 cup currants
1/3 cup pepitas
3/4 cup loosely packed grated carrot (approx. one small carrot)
3/4 cup loosely packed grated beetroot (approx. half a medium beetroot)
2 tablespoons coconut oil
1/2 cup lemon juice
1. Preheat oven to 180 degrees Celsius
2. Add flaxseed meal to water let sit for 10 minutes (needs to work it’s binding powers).
3. Add egg replacement to soy mix, whisk well, let sit for 10 minutes.
4. Mix dry ingredients flour (buckwheat and wholemeal), curry powder, lemon pepper.
5. Add currants and pepitas.
6. Mix well.
7. Add carrot and beetroot.
8. Add coconut oil.
9. Add flaxseed mix.
10. Add baking soda to egg replacement mix and whisk really well to ensure no lumps.
11. Mix all ingredients.
12. Add lemon juice, at this stage the mixture foams a little, don’t worry, just keep mixing and then divide mixture evenly into the six muffin pan.
13. Cook for 30 minutes at 180 degrees Celsius.
14. They should be well cooked by this stage. Muffins are done when bounce back with a touch test.
15. Let sit in muffin pan for ten minutes then onto airing rack to cool.
16. These are served cold so if you are having friends for lunch you can make them a few hours prior.
The muffins taste wonderful served with fresh slices of avocado and tomato and a crispy green salad. You could also spread them with Hummus.
Easy to freeze. An option for lunch at work.
Recipe by Catherine Carr