24 Dec Orange-Cashew Kale
Superfood in a vegan healthy dinner with yummy dressing.
1/2 KENT Pumpkin (I used Macro organic)
2 large Kale leaves
2 medium sized oranges
1/3 cup ( approx. I fresh orange) fresh orange juice
1 tablespoon seeded mustard ( I used Masterfoods)
1 teaspoon Macadamia nut oil ( you can use olive oil)
20 Cashew nuts
10 Cashew nuts
Nutribullet or Blender
- Heat oven to 180 degrees Celsius.
- Cut Pumpkin in half then half again so you have four slices.
- Spray baking pan lightly with olive oil.
- Place pumpkin on baking tray, lightly spray tops with olive oil spray.
- Cook for 40-45 minutes, pumpkin is cooked when a fork test easily goes through the pumpkin.
- Remove steams from Kale, wash and then chop into fine strips.
- Put to one side.
- Peel oranges with a knife so there is no white pith, then finely chop into segments and put in a bowl to one side
- Chop up decoration cashews and place to one side.
- Put dressing ingredients; orange juice,mustard,oil,cashews and ginger into the NutriBullet.
- Blend really well to ensure nuts and ginger are liquified into a dressing.
- Once Pumpkin is cooked, bring it out of the oven and plate onto four individual plates.
- Bring water to the boil in your steaming pot.
- Once water is boiling place kale in the steamer for two minutes ( this part is really fast, don’t over cook the kale).
- Throw kale into a bowl.
- Add dressing, don’t over dress at this stage so do this slowly (you are better to have a little dressing left over and serve this in a jug on the table.
- Add oranges, mix well.
- Divide over four portions of pumpkin.
- Sprinkle with chopped up cashews.
This is a lovely dish on its own, however you could also add a crunchy green salad. Sometimes if I want an extra protein hit I will also add extra nuts such as brazil and hazelnut.
Recipe by Catherine Carr