13 Feb Date and Walnut Slice
Vegan date and walnut bread – Easy morning tea or lunchbox treat.
2 cups chopped dates
1 cup boiling water
1 teaspoon baking soda
1 Tablespoon coconut oil
1 cup brown sugar
2 teaspoons egg replacement
1/2 cup unsweetened almond milk (Califia Farms)
1 cup chopped walnuts
1 teaspoon ginger
1 teaspoon cinnamon
2 cups white spelt flour
1 teaspoon baking powder1 teaspoon baking soda
- Pre heat oven to 180 degrees celsius.
- Place one cup of dates to one side to add later into dry mix.
- Place the other cup of dates into a jug with 1 cup of boiling water and the baking soda, set aside for one hour to soak.
- Preheat oven to 180 degrees Celsius.
- Line a brownie tin with parchment paper.
- Add egg replacement to almond milk and whisk well. Let sit for ten minutes to help binding.
- Mix dry ingredients. Sugar, flour, baking powder, ginger, cinnamon.
- Add chopped dates and walnuts to the dry ingredients.
- Add coconut oil to date and water mix.
- Whisk egg replacement once again to ensure well mixed.
- Combine both wet mixes with dry mix, dates and nuts.
- Stir thoroughly.
- Pour mixture into brownie pan, spread evenly with spoon.
- Bake for 45-50 minutes in a 180 degrees celsius oven.
- To test loaf is cooked, touch lightly with your finger, loaf should spring back.
- Leave in tin for ten minutes before turning out onto a wire rack to cool.
Keeps fresh for a couple of days when stored in a cool dry container. However I prefer to freeze it. Usually cut up in a larger container, transfer individual pieces into smaller dry containers for transporting to school or the office.
Recipe by Catherine Carr