28 Feb Curry Carrot Balls
Vegan curry carrot balls – Yummy Indian curry influence.
1 tablespoon of flaxseed meal
3 tablespoons water
300g raw carrots (approx.3)
1 teaspoon sized knob of fresh ginger
2 tablespoon almond butter
1/2 cup chickpea flour
3 tablespoons lemon juice
1 1/2 cups brown rice
1/2 cup currants
1 1/2 tablespoons Keens curry powder
40 grams black sesame seeds ( for coating)
1 teaspoon olive oil ( for coating)
1/2 cup coconut yoghurt
1 tablespoon lemon juice
1 teaspoon garlic salt ( I used Masterfoods)
1 small Lebanese cucumber
- Pre heat oven to 200 degrees celsius.
- Add flaxseed to water and let it sit for at least 10 minutes to release it’s binding powers .
- Cut carrots into small chunks, peel ginger place in a steamer pot, cook ginger and carrots until slightly tender.
- Once cooked, let carrots and ginger cool.
- In a bowl combine cooked rice, flaxseed mix and currants
- Mix well (put to one side).
- Add to carrots and ginger to food processor with lemon juice, almond butter, curry powder and chickpea flour.
- Blend to a paste.
- Add to rice, currant and flaxseed mix.
- Mix well.
- Make sure you don’t have on any rings and have well washed hands, it gets a little messy now.
- Use a big dessert spoon and divide mix into 4 portions.
- Shape to look like four small tennis balls. This is a sticky messy process but worth it.
- Rub 1/4 teaspoon per ball of olive oil over your hands (alternatively I tend to just lightly spray my hands with an olive oil spray can).
- Gently coat each ball lightly with the oil on your hands.
- Cover each ball in black sesame seeds. The easiest way is to put the seeds in a bowl and roll curry balls in the seed bowl.
- I find you tend to do two balls then you need to wash your hands before you do the other two.
- They are not very dense so you will need to reshape them as you roll.
- Once all four balls are done place them on a tray lined with parchment baking paper.
- Cook for 40 minutes at 200 degrees celsius.
- While balls re cooking prepare raita.
- Finely chop lebanese cucumber.
- Add coconut yoghurt,lemon juice and garlic salt.
- Mix well and serve with balls.
Serve with a crispy green salad and raita.
These will keep in the fridge for a couple of days so left overs can be work lunch options heated for around 40-50 seconds in the microwave.
More Vegan Balls recipes on Savoury Recipes.
Recipe by Catherine Carr