11 Feb Choc-Lemon Cookies
Chocolate treat with a zingy lemon contrast.
2 tablespoons flaxseed meal
6 tablespoons water
2 cups rolled oats
1 1/2 cups whole meal flour
1/2 cup brown sugar
1/4 cup cacao powder
2 tablespoons maple syrup
1 1/2 cups coconut oil
1 cup pure icing sugar (I used CSR)
1 lemon (use for lemon juice and to create lemon zest)
- Preheat oven to 180 degrees celsius .
- Mix flaxseed meal and water, set to one side for about 10 minutes ( this allows the flaxseed meal to activate its binding powers).
- Combine dry ingredients, oats, flour, sugar, cacao in a bowl and mix well.
- Brown sugar can tend to be a little clumpy so ensure all ingredients are well mixed and any lumps dispersed through the mixture.
- Now add maple syrup and flaxseed mix.
- Then add coconut oil, the coconut oil should be the consistency of very soft butter but not melted or too hard.
- To mix well use a spoon and then your clean dry hands,no rings!
- The mixture needs to be well kneaded, you want to ensure the coconut oil is completely mixed through, so no little white lumps.
- Now divide mixture into 12 balls.
- Place on baking tray (this can be oiled, however my preference is to use parchment baking paper).
- Bake in a 180 degrees celsius oven for 25 minutes.
- Once cooked let cookies stay on the baking tray for 10 minutes to firm up.
- Then move with a spatula to a baking rack to cool.
- Once cooled you are ready to ice.
- Grate lemon all over with a very fine grater to create lemon zest. Its a little fiddly but worth it , place to one side.
- Cut lemon in half and juice, you will only need one tablespoon for the icing so keep left overs in the fridge to throw in your water bottle.
- Use 1 cup of icing sugar with one tablespoon lemon juice, I use a flat edged butter knife to mix, it does seem like a big ratio of sugar to lemon but keep mixing and you will get a nice thick easy to handle icing sugar.
- Use straight away, as there is no fat it sets quite quickly.
- As you ice each biscuit simultaneously sprinkle with lemon zest.
These will quickly become a lunch box favourite.
Check out for more Vegan cookies recipes here.
Recipe by Catherine Carr