07 Feb Chia Breakfast Muffins
Easy vegan breakfast muffins on the run.
2 tablespoons chia seeds
6 tablespoons water
20 mils egg replacement
1 cup unsweetened vanilla almond milk (Califia Farms)
1/3 cup coconut sugar
1/2 cup whole meal flour
1 cup spelt flour
1 teaspoon powdered ginger
1 teaspoon baking powder
1/3 cup craisins (cranberries)
1/3 cup pepitas
1/2 cup currants
50 grams chopped up apricots (approx. 1/3 cup)
1 1/2 cups loosely packed grated carrot (approximately two small carrots)
1/3 cup olive oil
1 teaspoon baking soda
12 hole muffin pan
1. Preheat oven to 180 degrees Celsius
2. Mix chia seeds with water, sit for about 10 minutes (they need time to work their magic binding powers).
3. Add egg replacement to almond milk and whisk really well. (let sit so binding properties can work).
4. Mix dry ingredients, sugar, flour (spelt and whole meal), ginger, baking powder.
5. Add in craisins, pepitas, currants and apricots
6. Mix well
7. Add in grated carrot and mix well
8. Add oil
9. Add chia seed mix, should have swollen and be all gloppy.
10. Add baking soda to the egg mix.
11. Whisk egg mix again to ensure no lumps.
12. Add egg mix to all other ingredients and stir really well to ensure all ingredients have blended.
13. Place in the 180 degrees Celsius oven for thirty minutes.
14. Check Muffins are ready by touching; they should bounce back on touch.
Moist on their own, Or for added yum, a dollop of coconut yoghurt!
These muffins also freeze well so can be part of the weekly food prep.
Recipe by Catherine Carr