12 Mar Vegan Banana loaf
Vegan banana bread recipe – Nutty walnuts and a hint of maple syrup.
20 mils egg replacement
1/4 teaspoon baking soda
1 1/4 cup almond milk
1 cup whole meal flour
1 cup white spelt flour
2 teaspoons baking powder
1/2 cup coconut sugar
1 cup mashed bananas (approx.2-3 bananas)
1/4 cup olive oil
1/4 cup maple syrup
1/2 cut chopped up walnuts
- Preheat oven to 180 degrees Celsius.
- Add egg replacement and 1/4 teaspoon baking soda to unsweetened almond milk and whisk well, give it a few minutes for the binding powers to kick in.
- Place to one side.
- Mix dry ingredients, whole meal four, spelt flour, coconut sugar and baking powder.
- Mash bananas.
- Add Bananas, olive oil and maple syrup to dry mix.
- For a second time whisk egg replacement, almond milk mix and add to dry mix.
- Mix all ingredients well to a batter.
- Add chopped up walnuts, ensure they are distributed evenly in the mix.
- Pour into parchment paper lined loaf tin.
- Cook for 55 minutes, loaf should spring back once fully cooked.
- Remove from the oven, leave in tin for 10 minutes to settle.
- Lift out of tin ( parchment paper make this part easy) onto baking rack to cool.
Once loaf is cooled slice and serve, this loaf will keep several days in an airtight container and responds well to toasting.
My preference in a hot climate is to slice into individual servings, freeze and defrost as needed. Perfect for school lunches or breakfast on the run.
Recipe by Catherine Carr