13 Mar Coconut Beetroot Balls
A great vegan source of fibre and vitamin B6.
4 small beetroot (400 g)
2 tablespoons chia seeds
6 tablespoons water
1 can ( 400g) cannellini beans
1/4 cup lemon juice
2 tablespoons tahini
3 tablespoons seeded mustard
1 tablespoon lemon pepper
1/2 cup rice flour
1/2 cup coconut flour
1 cup cooked quinoa
1/2 cup shredded coconut
80 grams sesame seeds (for coating)
2 teaspoons olive oil, or a spray can of olive oil (for coating)
Sweet Chilli sauce to serve.
- Preheat oven to 200 degrees Celsius.
- Peel and cut beetroot into small cubes and steam. Takes about 12 minutes.
- Ensure you have a cup of pre-cooked quinoa ( I usually food prep on a Sunday night so I keep it in the fridge) If you haven’t had time then cook now ( its around 1/4 cup uncooked)
- Add chia seeds to water stir well and leave to go gloopy, 10-15 minutes.
- Once cooked leave beetroot and quinoa to cool (around 10 minutes).
- Add cooled quinoa to shredded coconut and put to one side.
- Rinse canned cannellini beans well with water.
- Add beans to food processor with cooled beetroot, tahini, seeded mustard, lemon pepper, lemon juice, rice flour, pulse to mix.
- Add coconut flour and chia seeds to shredded coconut and quinoa.
- Add beetroot mixture from the food processor to the coconut and quinoa in the mixing bowl, combine all ingredients.
- Mix well so chia seeds are well distributed.
- You need clean dry hands now, no rings !
- The mixture will be soft but you can form eight handful sized balls.
- Place the balls on a plate.
- Wash hands.
- Use around than 1/8 teaspoon of olive oil-very light (on your hands and lightly coat one ball (usually I just use olive oil in a can and spray my hands), repeat this step for each ball.
- Wash hands
- Put sesame seeds in a bowl.
- Lightly roll each ball till covered in seeds ( you may need to rinse your hands during this process it can be a little messy)
- Now place on parchment paper and bake for 35 minutes at 200 degrees Celsius.
Serve with a crispy green salad, some lemon wedges and sweet chilli sauce.
These will keep in the fridge for a couple of days so left overs can be work lunch options heated for around 40-50 seconds in the microwave.
More Vegan Balls recipes on Savoury Recipes.
Recipe by Catherine Carr