06 Apr Tomato Quinoa
Tomato Quinoa is a refreshing vegan salad, perfect as a side dish for 4-6. It also works as a lunch dish in a wrap or with fresh bread.
1/2 cup frozen baby peas
250g raw broccoli
1 tablespoon tahini
1/4 cup lemon juice
1/4 cup pinenuts
1 teaspoon lemon pepper (I used Masterfoods)
3 cups cooked quinoa (cooled, I usually have this in the fridge as part of weekly food prep)
500g multi coloured cherry tomato varieties ( 2 x 250g punnet)
1/2 cup pepitas
6 sprigs coriander
6 sprigs mint
- Steam broccoli, cook till just a touch past crunchy, around 5 mins.
- Add peas, around 3 minutes into broccoli cooking time, as they only need two minutes of steaming.
- Take off heat and blanch (put in a bowl of cold water and ice) to stop cooking process.
- Drain broccoli and peas.
- Place in food processor with tahini, lemon juice, lemon pepper and pine nuts.
- Pulse to a smooth hummus type texture.
- Place in a bowl and stir through quinoa.
- Mix well.
- Cut up tomatoes and finely chop mint and coriander.
- Add to quinoa mix with pepitas.
- Stir through all ingredients and serve.
I like my salads quite lightly dressed and this one has a very subtle flavour of pea and broccoli. Freshly cracked pepper adds to the flavour. Served in a wrap or on fresh bread this is a great lunch dish. It also works really well as a side dish.
Recipe by Catherine Carr