14 Jul Strawberry Cakes
Strawberry Cakes are the perfect excuse to try pea protein milk. It’s a great new plant based cooking product from Freedom foods. AO Like Milk, is in all good supermarkets. Calcium rich and high in protein, a healthy option for the whole family.
1 1/4 cups pea protein milk ( I used AO Like Milk)
4 teaspoons egg replacement powder (I used Bob’s Red Mills)
1/4 teaspoons baking powder
2 cups white spelt flour
2 teaspoons baking powder
1/2 cup brown sugar
2 x 120 gram cups of apple puree ( I used SPC)
1/4 cup pure maple syrup
1/4 cup olive oil
3 tablespoons cashew butter
2 x 250 gram punnets of strawberries
- Preheat oven to 180 degrees Celsius.
- Prepare a cup cake tray (I used a silicone one, as it’s non stick and easy to remove the cakes)
- Add egg replacement powder and baking soda to unsweetened pea protein milk. Whisk well, give it a few minutes for the binding powers to kick in.
- Place to one side.
- Combine dry ingredients, spelt flour, brown sugar, and baking powder.
- Mix well.
- Add apple puree to dry mix.
- For a second time whisk egg replacement, baking soda, pea protein milk mix.
- Add to dry mix, do not stir in at this stage.
- Put 1/4 cup of olive oil, 1/4 cup maple syrup and 3 tablespoons of cashew butter into a heavy based pot.
- Over a very low heat stir the cashew butter so it melts into the oil
- Do not allow oils to boil, they should only be warm and take less than a minute to combine.
- Now pour warm oils into dry mix.
- Mix really well into a smooth batter.
- Slice one punnet of strawberries into small slices.
- Fold sliced strawberries into the batter.
- Divide batter evenly in the cup cake tray.
- Slice a couple of strawberries from the second punnet (you will have some left overs)
- Decorate cakes with a slice or two of strawberry per cake.
- Place in oven
- Cook for 45-50 minutes
- Allow to cool in cake tin for 5- 10 minutes, then place on baking rack to fully cool.
Strawberry cakes are best on the day they are cooked so a nice weekend treat for friends and family.
Recipe by Catherine Carr