06 Jun Spinach Cranberry
Spinach Cranberry Cake has a banana base and was created out of a need to use up some ripe bananas and left over spinach. The taste combination really works with the tart cranberries balancing the sweetness of the cake. An easy way to “hide” the veggies from your kids, who will love the bright green colour.
20 mils egg replacer powder (I used Bob’s Red Mills egg replacer)
1/4 teaspoon baking soda
1 1/4 cup unsweetened almond milk ( I used Califia Farms)
50 g spinach
2 cups whole meal flour
1/2 cup of pepitas
2 teaspoons baking powder
3/4 cup white sugar
1 cup mashed bananas (approx.2-3 bananas)
1/4 cup liquid coconut oil
2 tablespoons almond butter
1/2 cup of pepitas
1 cup cranberries
1/4 cup pepitas
1/2 cup cranberries
20 cm brownie tin.
parchment paper to line tin.
- Preheat oven to 180 degrees Celsius.
- Line brownie tin with parchment paper.
- Add spinach, egg replacement and 1/4 teaspoon baking soda to unsweetened almond milk in your blender or Nutribullet.
- Blend to a smooth green liquid, give it a few minutes for the binding powers to kick in.
Place to one side.
- Combine dry ingredients, whole meal four, white sugar and baking powder.
- Mix well.
- Mash bananas.
- Add Bananas, to dry mix, don’t stir in at this stage.
For a second time whisk spinach, egg replacement, baking soda and almond milk mix and add to dry ingredients, don’t mix at this stage.
- Put 1/4 cup of coconut oil and 2 tablespoons of almond butter into a heavy based pot or even a fry pan.
- Over a very low heat stir the almond butter so it melts into the oil (I did this with a flat edged knife as I found this was an easy way to mix the two oils, the almond butter is a little gritty)
Do not allow to boil, this should only be warm and take less than a minute.
- Now pour warm oils onto dry ingredients.
- Mix all ingredients into a smooth batter.
- Add Cranberries
- Add Pepitas
- Stir well to combine all ingredients.
- Pour batter into lined brownie tin.
- Sprinkle cranberries and pepitas on top to decorate.
- Place in oven to cook.
- Cook for 50-55 minutes.
- Let cake cool in tin for ten minutes then transfer to cooling rack and gently remove parchment paper.
- When fully cooled, cut cake into squares ( serves 12)
Spinach Cranberry cake is yet another way to use up ripe bananas, its a fun green colour that tastes delicious.
Recipe by Catherine Carr