23 Jul Pecan Banana
Pecan Banana mini loaves are a perfect gift for friends wanting to try vegan baking. This recipe makes 5 mini loaves. They make an ideal breakfast option served with coconut yoghurt. I have used the pea protein milk by AO Like Milk as it has zero fat and is high in protein and calcium.
3 tablespoons of chia seeds
1/4 teaspoon baking soda
1 1/2 cups unsweetened pea protein milk ( I used AO Like Milk)
1 cup white spelt flour
1 cup wholemeal spelt flour
2 teaspoons baking powder
1/2 cup brown sugar
1 1/2 cups mashed bananas (approx.3-4 bananas)
1/4 cup olive oil
3 tablespoons cashew butter
1/4 cup of maple syrup
1/2 cup of chopped up pecans
1/4 cup chopped up pecans
1/2 banana sliced into rounds
5 individual mini loaf tins 14 x 7 x 4.5 cm
- Preheat oven to 180 degrees Celsius.
- Line loaf tins with parchment paper (They are small tins, so parchment paper can be fiddly). Alternatively you can lightly oil and flour tins, use white spelt if this is your preference.
- Add chia seeds to unsweetened pea protein milk and baking soda, use a whisk to blend.
- let this sit for ten minutes, the chia seeds will swell and go gloopy.
- Place to one side.
- Combine dry ingredients, white spelt flour, wholemeal spelt flour, brown sugar and baking powder.
- Mix well.
- Mash bananas.
- Add Bananas, to dry mix, don’t stir in at this stage.
- For a second time whisk chia seeds, baking soda and pea protein milk mix and add to dry ingredients.
- Don’t mix at this stage.
- Put 1/4 cup of olive oil, 3 tablespoons of cashew butter and maple syrup into a heavy based pot.
- Over a very low heat stir the cashew butter so it melts into the oil and maple syrup.
- Do not allow to boil, this should only be warm and take less than a minute.
- Now pour warm oils onto dry ingredients.
- Mix all ingredients into a batter.
- Add pecans.
- Stir well to combine all ingredients.
- Divide batter evenly between the individual mini loaf tins.
- Place banana slices and chopped pecans on top to decorate.
- Place in oven to cook.
- Cook for 45-50 minutes.
- Let loaves cool in tins for ten minutes then gently remove parchment paper.
- place loaves on a baking rack to fully cool.
Recipe by Catherine Carr