29 Jun Curry Tomatoes
I love the flavour of curry, this quick, easy recipe incorporates curry flavours into a stuffed tomato shell. Serve as a lunch or breakfast option.
4 Large tomatoes
4-6 large button mushrooms
I tablespoon olive oil
1 teaspoon curry powder ( I used Keens brand)
1 tablespoon almond butter
1 cup pre cooked rice (white or brown)
1/2 cup pre cooked quinoa
- Pre heat your oven to 180 degrees Celsius.
- With a sharpe knife take the “lid” off each of the tomatoes.
- Use a knife to loosen the insides then scrape out the seeds and pulp with a small teaspoon.
- Slice up the button mushroom (I used four fairly large ones)
- Place to one side.
- Rub a little olive oil over the whole tomatoes and place in the oven for 10 minutes.
- Place mushrooms, tomato pulp and seeds in a frypan with almond butter and curry powder, cook till tender.
- After ten minutes remove whole tomatoes from oven and place to one side while you finish cooking the filling.
- leave the oven heat on as you will be placing the tomatoes back in the oven once they are stuffed.
- The mushroom tomato mixture should be fairly thick and not runny , however you may need to add a little water during the cooking process to ensure the tomato and mushrooms are well cooked.
- Once this mixture is well cooked add the rice and quinoa.
- Stir to mix all ingredients, this mixture should be moist but not runny.
- Now stuff the whole tomatoes and place back in the oven for 10 – 15 minutes until the whole tomatoes are fully cooked.
Serve Curry Tomatoes on a bed of wilted spinach, or with mashed sweet potato. This recipe serves four as a side dish or two for lunch. Curry Tomatoes also work as a breakfast option with toast and avocado.
Recipe by Catherine Carr