05 Jun Carrot Cashew Soup
Carrot Cashew Soup is a filling meal option, this recipe serves 4. The cashew nuts give this soup a creamy taste that everyone will enjoy. Soup is great a dinner option in winter, I always like to balance cooked meals with a crunchy green salad on the side.
1 kilo carrots
1/2 clove garlic
1/2 cup cashew nuts
2 cups veg stock
1/3 cup lemon juice
1/2 teaspoon pepper
1/2 cup unsweetened almond milk
- Peel carrots and cut into chucks, put them into your steamer to cook. Around 20-25 minutes depending on the size of the slices, just test, you want them to be soft when you take them off the boil.
- Soak the cashew nuts in water.
- Lightly sauté the onion and garlic with a splash of olive oil just enough to clarify.
- Then add 1 1/2 cups water to cook simmer till cooked through. Usually once the water fully evaporates the onion and garlic will be fully cooked.
- Allow carrots, onion and garlic to cool.
- Once the vegetables are cooled drain the cashew nuts.
- Add the cashew nuts to food processor.
- Add carrots, onion, garlic, vegetable stock, lemon juice, pepper and almond milk.
- Blend to a thick creamy soup.
- Warm to serve, if heating on the stove top use a large pot and stir as it heats. Be mindful that this is a thick soup, if you bring it to the boil too quickly it can splatter and this is an easy way to burn yourself (I usually heat mine in the microwave)
- Decorate with some crushed cashews and micro greens.
Serve with you favourite french bread.
Recipe by Catherine Carr