06 Dec Breakfast Quinoa
Breakfast Quinoa is a protein rich start to the day. Gluten free with a tangy orange base, enhanced with coconut and tangy cranberries. The whole family will love this combination. It’s really fun as a weekend breakfast where everyone can layer their own parfaits to personal taste.
1 cup white quinoa
2 1/2 cups fresh orange juice ( 2 for cooking 1/2 for soaking)
1/4 cup currants
1/4 cup cranberries
1/4 cup shredded coconut
1/8 cup sliced almonds
8 dried dates finely chopped
Finely chopped fresh fruit ( I used kiwi fruit, any kind of berries or pineapple would work just as well)
Maple syrup ( optional )
- Rinse quinoa and place in a rice cooker with 2 cups of fresh orange juice.
- Put rice cooker on automatic mode.
- Once quinoa is cooked and orange juice is fully evaporated turn off rice cooker.
- Add dried fruit and nuts.
- Mix well add 1/2 cup of fresh orange juice and leave to cool.
- The mixture will last in the fridge for up to three days.
- Breakfast quinoa is best served cold in a parfait format.
- To serve I have layered canned peaches, breakfast quinoa, a dollop of coconut yoghurt, finely chopped fresh kiwi fruit.
Recipe by Catherine Carr